In the early 1860s the Marsh-Ireton ranch was established as a stage and mail stop along the freight road to the Boise Basin. Early farmers tried but failed to raise crops without irrigation. With the coming of the railroad in 1911, the Montour business district and town were platted. In 191…
Architects also designed the Idaho State Capitol
If you asked most people in Emmett where the historic Powell building was, they would not know. But everyone who drives downtown knows the building on the corner of Main Street and Washington Avenue.
In 1926, the Emmett Index newspaper had stories of a local man who created a unique apple wiping machine for the Gem Fruit Union. The apple wiper was so popular that a manufacturing factory was built in Emmett to supply the demand. They were sold to Fruitland, Nampa, Twin Falls and other places.
As we look back to the history of Gem County, we find family names that are in the community today. The following story was originally published in the 1919 Emmett Index. It is as was written 95 years ago. The Pratt family are pioneers who entered the area in 1898. Their descendants still li…
The parking lot on the corner of north Washington Avenue and East Park Street, in historic downtown Emmett, has been designated the Martin-McNish parking lot. There is a nice sign recognizing the parking lot as an historic site. Nathaniel Martin was one of the first families to claim land in…
The largest log ever cut at the Boise-Payette mill in Emmett was sent through the saws in August 1949, according to the Emmett Messenger newspaper. The log was estimated to contain 3,000 board feet of lumber. Log supply in the pond kept two saws running through the end of May. The third band…
As originally published in the Oct. 4, 1945, Emmett Index.
Enclosed canoe to be used by same man as went over Shoshone Falls
The first building for the Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1885. Land was purchased by Mr. Wardwell for $150. The land was located at the site of where Huskie Park is currently located.
The following was published in a January 1963, Messenger-Index newspaper. This has been condensed from the original article.
Originally published in The Emmett Index in the Garden Valley of Idaho
Christmas Sweetheart Ball
This article was originally published Feb. 18, 1960
This story was originally published in the February 17, 1988 Messenger Index.
The following story was originally printed in the Nov. 4, 1953 Emmett Messenger.
Local switchboard operation to end midnight Saturday
The following articles were printed in the Emmett Index in 1953.
150 years as a community
It is difficult to say who the first white settlers were in the community. So many people were coming and going across the river — either on the way to Oregon to the gold fields and free homestead land or coming back to the new gold fields in the Bogus Basin.
The 79th Cherry Festival runs June 12-15 this year
From the small 1873 Martinsville burial ground, to the 1903 larger hilltop River View Cemetery, now called Emmett Cemetery, 140 years of Emmett’s memorial history can be traced through the cemetery’s tombstones.
Happy 150th birthday to first Martinsville — then Emmettsville — now Emmett
The following was written in The Emmett Index in 1893.
We call it the “house with the pillars” or the Vanderdasson home. Those who have been in Emmett for a long time remember the home as the DeClark residence. The three storied Victorian home is located on the corner of North Johns Avenue and Main Street. It has been purchased and will soon und…
Huskies grab sixth conference win, 51-49, with Schiller looper at gun
Nyssa win adds margin to conference title
This story and photo ran in the 1951 edition of the Emmett Messenger. The date of the prune picking in the photo is unknown.
The 1918 influenza pandemic killed more than 600,000 Americans and 50 million people worldwide, according to Center for Disease Control historians. Scientific technology improvements made it possible to identify pandemics in later years compared to the 1918 tragedy.
In celebration of the 120-year anniversary of the Messenger Index, Nov. 4, 2013, this story from the Nov. 8, 1945, issue of the Emmett Index is being republished.
As printed in the September 24, 1953, Emmett Index.
1800s: Early-day Emmettsville was not even an incorporated village at the turn of the century when this picture was taken at Albert Bird’s old livery barn, situated just south of Emmett’s Sacred Heart Catholic Church. The Clemens freight outfit was about ready to take off up the rugged trail…
1950s: Droves of Emmett youngsters got the situation well in hand last Wednesday when National Guard Company “F” rolled into town with a U.S. Army tank in quest of recruits for an all-Emmett platoon for the 116th Mechanized Cavalry at Caldwell. They polished the long barrel of its 75 mm gun …
1955: Getting the lowdown on another play from Coach John Reager, right, are the members of the Emmett High School grid squad, which will open the 1955 season this weekend with Jamboree play in Ontario Friday night and on their home field Saturday night when they meet the Boise High School j…
1968: New officers of the newly incorporated Black Canyon Bowmen take aim at a 65-yard target on just completed archery range in Sand Hollow. They are from left: Kelly Horton, director; Pearl Bussert, president; Bob Cyr, secretary-treasurer; Rex Bussert, director; Larry Waller, vice presiden…
1912: Everybody loves a parade. Here is an Emmett scene taken in 1912 showing a parade during an Odd Fellows convention held here. Note the Butte Block basement now the home of the Golden Rule Store in the foreground and the emporium of Hiram Katz, pioneer merchant of Emmett.
1800s: The old stage coach — In operation between Emmett and Van Wyck (near Cascade) was the only means of communication between the lower valley and Long Valley and the Thunder Mountain district. The stage, operated by John F. Hall, left Emmett every morning on arrival of the mail from Namp…
1960s: Parking meter fees were back in order for downtown Emmett shoppers and employees as police resumed patrolling of the meters this week. Police were directed to discontinue patrolling the meters throughout the holiday shopping season by Emmett Mayor Rod Morgan. Jan. 2 marked the end of …
1961: Championship banner was presented last week by the Letha P.T.A. to the Letha flag football team which held every team in the county except Parkview eighth grade scoreless while running up large point scores for Letha. The championship squad from left, Bill McAllister, Bert Osborn, Doyl…
1893: Emmett Coronet Band. Upper row – Grant Bartlett, W. W. Parrish, W. R. Cartwright, A. J. Kelley, Frank Fitzgerald, John Murray, Clint Brown. Middle Row – Louis Nesline. The other names were cut out of the original copy of the newspaper. The photo is from July 4, 1893.
Countdown to Messenger Index’s 120th anniversary on Nov. 4, 2013
Editor's note: The following story was taken from a 1954 Emmett Index newspaper and is written as it was reported.
From two dogs to a mansion
There is gold in the West! That was the cry that moved the hearts of hundreds to pack up their belongings in a wagon and head over uncharted and untouched lands to an unknown destiny.
In the Aug. 2, 1962 edition
At the Emmett Drive-in
Not many know that the town of Montour was originally a village called Marsh. It was named after early pioneer Edson Marsh who was a native of Onondaga County, N.Y. Marsh migrated with his family to Michigan as an infant. In 1852, the 18-year-old drove four yokes of oxen in a train of 80 per…
This story is part two of a story that was originally published in
This story was originally published in the Emmett Index, June 1, 1916. Look for part two in a coming issue of the Messenger Index.
Editors note: This is an article about pioneers of Gem County originally published in the June 10, 1948 edition of the Emmett Messenger as told to pioneer Nellie Ireton Mills, Emmett. See other pioneer stories online at: www.messenger-index . com.